• About
  • Archives
  • Categories
  • Turf Goaltimate Kit: Illustrated Step by Step

    2011 - 12.19

    A while back I talked about my struggles to get Goaltimate to work on turf fields that you couldn’t physically anchor “into”, and documented a bit about how I thought I’d overcome those problems in “Turf Goaltimate Kit Reborn!“.  Well, it’s been 9.5 months since then and we’re still using and happy with that same system, so it’s probably about time I illustrate it a little better.  If you want the full part’s list, check that earlier post.

    Bushing:

    Goaltimate Kit

     

     

    Reducer:

    Goaltimate Kit

     

    Flange attached to half of shelf:

    Goaltimate Kit

    Goaltimate Kit

    Pipe:

    Goaltimate Kit

     

    Attach reducer to the flange/shelf assembly:

    Goaltimate Kit

     

    Assembled “base”:

    Goaltimate Kit

     

    Take the bushing, and put it on one end of the pipe: 

    Goaltimate Kit

    Goaltimate Kit

    Goaltimate Kit

    Goaltimate Kit

     

    Insert the bushing/pipe assembly into the base:

    Goaltimate Kit

     

    Voila, a completed support (repeat for the other side):

    Goaltimate Kit

    Goaltimate Kit

    Now assuming that you have an actual Goaltimate arch (generally out of PVC pipe) you can insert each end of the arch into one of these supports, add an Ulti bag, sandbag or some other “weight” to the extended portion of the shelf to provide additional stability.  Ideally use something soft, or at least without any dangerous edges in case someone runs into it.  It should be possible to run into the completed assembly and have the weight move and/or the arch fall down and/or the support come apart.  All of those are definitely preferable to having a broken person.  In almost a year of use, these mechanism has survived tumbles and collisions, has been responsible for zero injuries, and has not needed to have any components replaced.

    Good luck, and let us know if you’re using it, or if you improve upon the design.

    Tags: , , , ,

    4 Responses to “Turf Goaltimate Kit: Illustrated Step by Step”

    1. Josh says:

      I really like your idea, but am struggling with what to put on as a weight. What’s an ulti bag? Just a weighted bag? Do you just put one weight on each board, with the wood facing the exterior of the arch?

      • David says:

        Sorry, wasn’t intentionally vague. I also play Ultimate, and have two bags which I take out which were made by Gaia Ultimate which I refer to as my Ulti bags (they have an external compartment for disc storage, so they are actually tailored for the sport. That said, any sports bag would be fine. I’ve also used the base of those old halogen tortierre lamps. Realistically anything that gives you 2-5lbs of weight should be enough.

        In the future we’ll be using sandbags (designed for photography) which are just zippered bags designed to be filled with sand and not leak.

        To answer your other question, I put one weight on each board, and I have the boards facing away from the inside of the arch (or the exterior of the arch as you described it).

        The intent behind using a sandbag, and any other eventual improvements on the design is to minimize sharp edges and to use weights that should there be an impact with them that the weight will deform to some degree on impact rather than requiring that it be the player who does all the deforming. So essentially safety enhancement for everyone involved.

        • Josh says:

          Oooooh, I get it. So you could just have two people put their sports bags on top of it. That much weight really keeps the arch upright? I’m just thinking of a rebar setup seems like there’s quite a bit of outward pressure on it. Don’t the boards just slide? Do you put something grippy on the bottom?

          • David says:

            In truth the arch can stand without any additional weight on top of the wooden pieces (although I wouldn’t play with it set up that way). You get the lever benefit of the bases which you don’t have with the rebar setup. That said, it would also depend on the strength of the pipe used in your arch. We’ve been using 3/4″ instead of the more typical 1″ diameter pipe for the arch, so our arch is going to be more flexible to start with.

            We haven’t had to add any additional grip to the bottom of the bases. Let us know how well it works for you, if you end up trying out the design, and what modifications you make in order to make it work well for you.

    Your Reply