So just after her birthday Karin got a MinoHD Flip 720p camcorder from Costco, it was a good deal ($99.99) and was more or less what she wanted. Well today we logged about 5000 steps on our pedometers as we enjoyed the sunshine and walked to Costco from home to return it. Last time we were at Costco we saw that they had a newer model with twice as much storage and image stabilization. Since we returned the first one, we’re now looking to see what else is out there, so we can decide what camcorder to buy.
Turns out there’s a dizzying array of options out there, which is really a bad thing, because Karin does not do well with dizzy! Boxing week sales are still on, but nothing is that compelling so far. We’ve got a list of desirable features narrowed down to:
- 1080p or maybe 1080i (versus the 720p of the Flip)
- long battery life, removable battery, and/or can run while plugged in (there was a viable candidate we found, but it had a short battery life, and wouldn’t run while plugged in)
- at least 2 hours recording time (ideally significantly more, or supports additional memory cards)
- reasonably small and light is desirable
- reasonable sound quality or supports external mic
- reasonable low light performance
We’ll keep you posted on what we get, when we decide on something, in the meantime suggestions or recommendations are welcome.